« Home | Why You Should Ditch Your Crappy Browser and Get F... » | I'm Hot Blooded, Check it and See » | Rock and Roll » | The Tide Is Turning » | The Grade Run » | Back in Black » | Me and Seth » | Short and to the Point » | try again » | Merry Christmas? » 

Thursday, March 03, 2005 

Take This Job and Shove It

As anyone who knows me is (painfully) aware, I have one of the easiest, well-paying jobs on the face of the planet. I work in Document Services, a division of the University Registar, and have very few job functions. In fact, here is a run down of my day to give you a better idea.

09:15 - Arrive 15 minutes late for work and zone out for 45 minutes

10:00 - Read entire issue of The Lantern

10:04 - United States and University mail arrives, I help sort and hand deliver every piece of mail coming in to Lincoln Tower.

11:00 - Mail sorting is finished, I sit and read a magazine that should be delivered to a student while talking to various building employees who come down to pick up their office's mail.

11:30 - Go up to Treasurer's Office and see what Jackie is doing.

11:45 - Lunch break, I grab some snacks out of a vending machine (Unless it's a pizza Friday)

12:30 - Re-read entire issue of The Lantern

12:33 - Walk around the building and drop off any mail that didn't make it out earlier.

12:40 - Space out at my desk (but it looks like I'm working)

01:20 - Read the major headlines of the day from various news websites

01:45 - Flirt with Melissa as she comes down to pick up the student mail.

02:00 - Growing ever more bored, fire up AIM and start talking to other people who aren't doing anything (but aren't getting paid, either)

03:00 - Whoo, I'm exhausted, time for a break, better get another Cherry Coke

03:30 - Increasingly more bored, write this blog post

04:00 - Exchange humorous stories with my boss on anything ranging from politics to plant biology.

04:30 - Leave half an hour early with pay

I have received pay raises and outstanding service awards for doing this shit.

I know, I know, it infuriates you... I don't do anything, I will be the first to agree with you. If they gave me more tasks to accomplish, I would gladly complete them. Fact is, they dont and I don't complain.


It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

So that's my administrative career right there in a nutshell... when you break it down, I really only do about 37 minutes of actual work in an 8 hour day. Later, I will explain how this job has persuaded me into a new career choice.

This post was written at Document Services, a division of the University Registrar, during a work day where I wasted approximately $74.00 of your tuition money... sorry.

About me

  • I'm C.W. Spring
  • From Columbus, Ohio, United States
  • I'm a senior at Ohio State in Interactive Communications. I used to want to work in broadcasting right out of college, however, I've recently decided to throw that life plan on the backburner and focus on the greatest ambition I listed in my high school yearbook: "To change the world for the better." Broadcasting can wait for me.
My profile

News

    My Latest News Articles (on Newsvine)