« Home | im so pissed... » | *sigh* » | If my temperature is 95 degress, WHY AM I SO WARM?! » | ahh » | weird » | Things I Hate / Things I Don't » | ***deleted*** » | What do the cards have in store for you? » | Not the Smartest Night » | Short and Sweet » 

Saturday, December 18, 2004 

Merry Christmas?

Christmas is supposed to be the most selfless holiday there is (well technically that should be Easter for the Christianly inclined I think, but bare with me). We have movies like It's a Wonderful Life and books and other tales in the vein of A Christmas Carol. The recurring theme in most of these holiday tales is reaching out and helping others before looking out for yourself. Jimmy Stewart actually contemplates killing himself in a desperate attempt to help his business and family with a debt.

The holidays are supposed to make everyone come together, cherish what they have, and help those around them in whatever way they see fit. Why is it then that everyone seems to be just as self-absorbed this month as any other in the year? Is Christmas Spirit dead, or is the idea too romanticized to begin with? I wish everyone would just lose the focus off themselves for awhile (myself included) and support the ones around them that they care about.

I think these holiday tales are half the reason why I enjoy the season. Christmas and New Year's is a time when it seems anything is possible; the one time of the year it's generally acceptable to set your hopes ridiculously high in the hopes of a Christmas miracle. Too bad life isn't more like a holiday movie sometimes. George Bailey - a lovable goofy guy who only wants to travel the world. And at the same time, he throws away his dreams time and time again to help the people around him. He ends up having a terrible life, one that he never wanted to have... you think the poor guy is about to jump off a bridge and BAM! - Christmas miracle, and all of a sudden he has a wonderful life after all. Unrealistic? Maybe. I don't care though, I love it, and it's Christmas, so that's perfectly acceptable.


I wish I had the right words for my friends sometimes. I have a hard time accepting this notion that sometimes there aren't any right words and sometimes the only way to help people is to let them help themselves. Then there's the other friends that you know only they can help themselves, but you just want to grab and hold (or shake) them and say "Things are going to work out for you the way they should, you will have equilbrium!" But you can't say that, because they have to want and believe that before it does any good.

Like I said last time, my last entry never got posted becase my silly computer restarted (Thanks Service Pack 2) Well anyway, I had listed a couple things off my "Life List" I created a few years ago, so I think I'll share some of those every now and then, if for no other reason then to motivate myself to do them.

#7 - Give Skiing a Shot
#25 - Make More People Happy

(Funny how I put skiing before making others happy.... substantially so. I blame the randomness of the way my mind works)

Sometimes I wish that I could change
I cant save you from my poor brain

Maybe I will write more later, I'm missing a great episode of Futurama (the first Santa one with John Goodman).


-C.W. Spring







About me

  • I'm C.W. Spring
  • From Columbus, Ohio, United States
  • I'm a senior at Ohio State in Interactive Communications. I used to want to work in broadcasting right out of college, however, I've recently decided to throw that life plan on the backburner and focus on the greatest ambition I listed in my high school yearbook: "To change the world for the better." Broadcasting can wait for me.
My profile

News

    My Latest News Articles (on Newsvine)