« Home | Cowtown is Coming » | Knowing When You're Good » | The Lantern - Late to the Punch Again » | Pack it up, Pack it in » | It's Spring Time, Bitch » | » | Halfway Home » | » | Spring Break - Day One » | Great American Road Trip » 

Monday, April 24, 2006 

Buckeye TV Webstream Back in Action

An issue I keep revisiting at my newly appointed post as VP of Programming at Buckeye TV is 'how can we expand our audience.' Granted the size of our current audience is one of the largest campuses in America - plus every room in our award-winning hospital system - which is really nothing at all to sniff at... but there is such a bigger market to tap.

One major step our station took towards this goal was establishing an Internet2 connection with other universities - which in turn allowed us to become one of the pioneering members of the Open Student Television Network - which is a 24/7 consortium of 100% student produced content. Member stations range from Akron to Harvard, and everywhere in between. But I didn't write this post to toot our horn on OSTN (okay well maybe a little, the guys at our station have worked really hard to make it happen).

As of 11.04pm tonight, I am happy to report that anyone with a broadband connection to the interweb can once again receive a real-time feed of our station, any time - day or night. All thanks to our VP of Operations and IT guy - whom we affectionately call Farva.

We used to offer this stream before, but the server it was on could not really handle the task when many users were logged on. Tonight, Farva installed a new server and reconfigured the way the video stream is accessed, so we shouldn't run into this problem again. There are still some little glitches to be ironed out, but nothing you will really notice in the meantime.

The stream can be accessed from Buckeye TV's website or directly at mms://buckitv.osu.edu/btvwebstream

Mac users - sorry, you need Windows Media Player. Our station is hopelessly shackled to Windows. We have one Mac and it almost got thrown into the Olentangy River today by our software developer.

About me

  • I'm C.W. Spring
  • From Columbus, Ohio, United States
  • I'm a senior at Ohio State in Interactive Communications. I used to want to work in broadcasting right out of college, however, I've recently decided to throw that life plan on the backburner and focus on the greatest ambition I listed in my high school yearbook: "To change the world for the better." Broadcasting can wait for me.
My profile

News

    My Latest News Articles (on Newsvine)